The Sanctuary of Tao Monthly Membership
We rely on the generosity of our members to make it possible for us to continue making Taoism more accessible for everyone. To show our appreciation, we've created a three-part program to support the spiritual cultivation of our community.
The core curriculum of the membership, offering teachings on Taoist philosophy and Taoist meditation
Six Taoist practices for you to learn and discover which fit you best, to develop or augment your daily practice
A collection of resources for your Taoist studies and contemplation, with new content added monthly
The foundational curriculum of the Sanctuary of Tao, offering teachings for deepening your understanding and embodiment of core Taoist ideas.
The first half of this year-long program will be on The Way of the Tao—Taoist philosophy on living in harmony with the Tao and finding and following your personal Tao.
The second half of the year will be on The Way of Clarity and Tranquility—Taoist meditative practices for becoming more clear and calm in your mind, body, and life.
On the third Sunday of each month, at 1:00 p.m. CST, Stuart Alve Olson will offer a 45- minute online Zoom class with time for questions at the end.
Six Taoist practices that you can try out and see which fit you best. These resources are here to support you in developing your daily practice. Includes:
- The Tai Chi 16-Posture Form
- Taiji Qigong
- Eight Brocades
- Tiger’s Waist
- Five Animal Frolics
- Chen Tuan’s Four Season Qigong and 24 Dao Yin Seated Exercises
In the Library area of the membership, you can explore a collection of resources for your Taoist studies and contemplation. Includes:
- A Taoist calendar and Chinese Astrology resources including a chart calculator
- Taoist chants and scriptures with instructions for bowing and offering incense
- A series of commentaries by Stuart on the Tao Te Ching, including a recording of the Tao Te Ching for contemplation practice
- A series of discussions on three Taoist books: Taoism: the Road to Immortality by John Blofeld, Taoist Yoga by Lu K’uan Yu, and The Secret of the Golden Flower by Lu Dongbin
- A complete 70-part lecture series Stuart gave on the Yellow Court internal alchemy teachings
- A collection of internal alchemy illustrations and commentaries
New content will be added monthly.
- As soon as you join, you’ll have access to the Membership areas. While the Member Path will be empty because those classes haven’t started yet, the resources in the Practices and Library areas will be ready and available.
- The Member Path will officially kick-off after the Chinese New Year. The first class of the Member Path will be held on Sunday, February 21st, at 1:00 p.m. CST.
- All classes will be recorded and posted in the Member Path area, so if you can’t make it live, you can watch them anytime.
- After the first class session, the registration for membership will be closed until the summer when we begin the second half of the Member Path, the Way of Clarity and Tranquility.
- We believe this structure will be the most beneficial for our members, because it’s easier to stick with and get the most out of a program when you can attend live or watch shortly after on replay, and when you can engage with the material by asking questions live.
- Some people may wish to join at the beginning with the Way of the Tao, and some may be more interested in beginning with the Way of Clarity and Tranquility, so we will open registration at the beginning of each topic, and go through each one together as a class.
- If you previously had a Celestial Membership, your membership will continue in this new form. You should have received some emails about this. Once the membership expires, contact us if you want to renew at your old rate.
- If you’ve been impacted financially by Covid-19, and feel that the membership rate is prohibitive for you right now, we're offering scholarships for membership this year. Please contact us for more information.